Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board

Forum is in 'archive mode'
read only. posting is turned off and there is no need to log in or to register
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister Prism Kites Prism Videos  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What will Dead Launch? (Read 1196 times)
Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm
windsorr   Ex Member

I have a number of prism kites and was wondering which ones can be dead launched....

My results so far

Prophecy - Easy  Grin
Ozone - Not too difficult but scary (fear of breaking  something)  Shocked
E2 - Nowt Zippo Nada   Angry
Elixir - bounces a bit but not even close yet...  Embarrassed
Nexus ?   ???
Micron?    ???

What have you chaps managed?

Cheers
Rich

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm

groundeffect   Ex Member

Also note it depends on the surface you're flying off - hard packed sand or short grass is ideal. Also you need a little wind usually.

I've dead launched a Nexus, and Qpro without problems. Just have to get the right timing, sharp tug up front followed by almost immediate sweap while stepping back....

cheers,
Dean

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm
ikky68   Ex Member

Anything will deadlaunch if given the right contitions, AND if the inputs are correct.

I've deadlaunched a Masque (french kite with almost striaght LE) a number of times.

GroundEffect nail the key item to a deadlaunch.  The ground wind.  Without that groundwind it's really (almost impossible) hard to deadlaunch a kite.

I try to stay away from deadlaunches because it puts a LOT of strain on the kite.  The only time I ever damaged my Elixir is when I forced a deadlaunch.  The kite launched and then the lower spreader broke.  I was lucky that the spar didn't stab the sail.

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm
ikky68   Ex Member

Quote:
What have you chaps managed?

These are the ones that I can remember
E2 (first kite I ever DL'd)
Elixir
Quantum
Ozone
Chimaera
Masque
Gemini
Mamba
STX2.3
Addiction
JITB
LTM
Manticore

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm
rxburner   Ex Member

None of my kites dead launch.... I love them too much for that.  Grin
Rx

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm
ikky68   Ex Member

rxburner wrote on Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm:
None of my kites dead launch.... I love them too much for that.  Grin
Rx

Yup,  I like that black Elixir, in your profile pic.

Lemme borrow it for a while.  I wanna try out some of my love on it.  Grin

IP Logged

Reply #6 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm
zephyr   Ex Member

As far as Prism kites go: pretty much all of them except the Eclipse and Alien. I suppose you could get an Eclipse to dead launch. It's just as likely you will destroy the kite in the process.

I can't remember if I have ever gotten an Alien to dead launch. I don't think so unless it was under some unusual circumstance.

IP Logged

Reply #7 - Dec 31st, 1969 at 4:00pm

groundeffect   Ex Member

I've deadlaunched a Flashback as well with out problems. However I do remember once when I cracked a stand off in half doing this.

I don't do many deadlaunchs now, as I dont' want to crack/kill/destroy any part of my kites for the sake of 30secs and a short walk down the field.

I usually use 'the walk of shame' as a good time to check over the kite, like a flight inspection. I check the bridle to see if it's wrapped or something, I check the spars to be sure everything is still plugged in good and not ready to fall out. Then I check the sail tension and the lines around the nock.... etc...

then back into flying position if everything is in order... and back into the air!

I've turned the 'walk of shame' into a 'flight inspection test' Wink

cheers,
Dean

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print